Saturday, February 18, 2023

Where Does The Bible Affirm Libertarian Free Will?

This post will not be detailed in exegesis, but instead more generally biblical verses that support the doctrine of free will.

Whence then are some vessels of wrath,
and some of mercy? Of their own free choice. 
John Chrysostom 
347– 407ad
Joshua 24:15
King James Version
15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Revelation 3:20

20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
(note: This verse doesn't likely refer to the doctrine "ask Jesus into your heart", instead Jesus is calling a church into close fellowship with him, yet the same principle remains on free will)


1 Corinthians 10:13

13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

John 5:40

40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

Matthew 23:37

37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

Deuteronomy 30:19-20

19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

20 That thou mayest love the Lord thy God, and that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he is thy life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the Lord sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.


1 Peter 1:2

2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.



No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog has moved

 I decided to move my work unto another url, this is because due to much more study I would like to reform much of how these articles are wr...